In the past few years, I've really been drawn to clothes with interesting and unique shapes. Even a black pair of pants can stand out if they have a unique shape to them! As I posted here, the white dress has a shape to it that I've never seen before. It drapes out on both sides, giving the dress some character. Even though it's just a plain white dress, the structure of it takes it to a whole new level! I've loved these LF pants since the second I laid eyes on them in the store! They are perfectly slouchy, yet extremely lady-like...hands down, my favorite pair of pants in my closet right now! Don't be afraid of clothing with unique structure! If worn right, it can transform your look!
Love the details of the waist line & pleating down the front!
Incredible "Monies" necklace & earrings
Same designer of necklaces seen here and here (the last pic)
Mom and I both have the cross necklace in black and brown...
I'm not usually a breakfast person. Never have been. My sweet mama had to search high and low for creative ways to make me eat breakfast as a kid. I know it's the healthy thing to do and all, but I still don't wake up in the AM thrilled chow down on my morning meal. However, call it "brunch" and move it back a couple of hours, and I am SOLD! I love finding great brunch places, leisurely spending my mornings eating and drinking with loved ones. But I also love to cook my own breakfast/brunch foods every now and then. This morning I was in the mood to do just that and made these Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes. I added craisins, instead of raisins - and it was just as good! I've added this recipe to my list of morning favorites!
....this WHOLE look by TWELFTH STREET BY CYNTHIA VINCENT!!!
The oversized, slouchy cream button up is perfection, paired with the long, sleek black skirt! That brown belt is the cherry-on-top and pulls together the whole look. And we ALL know how much I love statement jewelry!! Wish I was a foot taller with a birthday coming up! ;)
SUPER Sunglasses Basic Wayfarer in Summer Safari Puma
I am obsessed with these sunglasses. All 3 pair.
Here's the scoop on these impossibly cool shades...
The founders of SUPER sunglasses, Daniel and Simon Beckerman, wanted to create "sunglasses for the people" (lucky us) that are inspired by different cultures and street couture. They design sunglasses with a modern take on vintage style and shape. I couldn't have described a more perfect pair of sunglasses!
As you guys know, I've been traveling a TON lately. On my travels across the U.S., I've been collecting some great vintage jewelry. Some I've kept for myself (hehe), but some I've saved and put back to sell here on my blog. I wanted to collect a few stunning -and very unique- pieces before unveiling them on here. I've looked everywhere and been very picky about what I bought. Here are a few pieces I've gotten recently. The picture was taken with my iPhone, so I apologize if it's not the best! Enjoy the pre-view of what's to come!
Hello friends! I had an idea for a post, due to a friend asking me what products I used on my face. She is just as much into finding the right products for her skin and taking care of her face as I am, so she asked me what my favorite products were. I just composed a LONG email (sorry, Jill!) outlining everything I've found that WORKS, so I thought I would share it with you all. I love finding out what skincare routines people use, in hopes I can learn something from them and the journey they took to find their "Perfect skin." Plus, I'm not going to lie.... I am still waiting on someone to tell me they found the miracle product that made their lines go away completely and their skin to glow like a baby's behind!! Don't laugh. NASA has made a hunk of metal that can go to space, so why can't someone invent a little creme that makes expression lines vanish?
Without going too deep into my skin woes and giving you every last detail of my skin since I was 13, here's the skinny on what I've used that WORKS. (And I've tried a lot of things, people. Too many to name. So many that you'd think I have a problem hoarding facial products. In fact, my dad thinks I do have a problem with that, but that's whole different post. Sorry Dad.)
1. I use Pro-Active. I use all three of their "basic" kit, plus my favorite daytime moisturizer ever: Their oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15! I love it, and it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. (which says a lot, because it seemed like every single thing I tried made me break out or clogged my pores) I realize this system may not work for everyone, and I probably need to try and find another system since I am not in my teens or early twenties anymore. (Wow, that's a harsh reality.) But it works for me, and I never have breakouts so I am sticking with it for now.
2. Decleor Paris "Aromessence Neroli oil" - I just started using this about 2 weeks ago, after I had it put on my face during a facial. I was a little nervous because I have never used an "oil" on my face, and I was worried that it would break me out. The lady giving me my facial said that oils are the BEST thing to put on your skin for moisture and to get that "glow" that everyone wants. Here's something about me: I love for my skin to "glow" and that kind of sold me on the product. That and her amazing accent. If something promises that it makes skin "glow," I am all over it. Even if it's slug slime in a bottle. Gross but true. This oil has not broken me out ONE TIME, and it does not clog my pores! It's amazing and leaves my skin so soft... and with a nice glow, from the moisture that's being put back into my skin. Added bonus: It also smells great. Any of the oils in that line are supposedly great, and they address a number of skin concerns, so pick the one that's best for you. The one that I am now using is a new product that is now on my "must-have" list.
3. I started using Retinols about a year and a half ago, and they have changed my skin!! Retinols are chemical exfoliants that work to remove dead skin cells to reveal newer/brighter/younger looking skin. I started off with the La Roche Posay .30%. I absolutely loved it, but I am not sure where you can buy it anymore. Someone said at CVS, but I haven't seen it. It never irritated my skin, and I (try) to use it 3-4 times a week. I've recently upped my dosage, to a .5% though. I am using Skinceuticals brand now. See it here. I am a BIG fan of retinol, and it's something you want to start using in your mid to late 20s from what every skin care person tells me. Just make sure you're using a sunscreen during the day if you're using them!
4. My skin would be a little dry when using Pro-Active, and I was looking everywhere for a good moisturizer that wouldn't break me out. I finally found one I love, after reading about it in a magazine. It's by Nicholas Perricone (his original line is AMAZING but very $$$), but he's come out with a new line that's more affordable and based on super foods. His new line is called "Super by Dr. Nicholas Perricone." I use the "Super O-Mega Moisture with Chia." I love it! It's made such a difference to my skin not being as dry, but it's not a heavy moisturizer... so don't worry about that. I've been using it for a little over a month, and I have not broken out once!
5. I use the Clarisonic brush, which is a MUST for me now. I think that adding this to my skincare routine is the best thing I've ever done!
6. Once I got engaged last Feb. I started getting facials once a month, until the wedding. That was the ONE THING that made my skin look flawless on a regular basis. Now I don't do that as much now, because it is $$ to do it that often, but it is worth it. I would suggest maybe getting a facial every 2-4 months. My facialist (who is the best one I've found in Nashville - and she's affordable) told me that I didn't need to be using Pro-Active all the time, after using it all these years. She said since I am not breaking out anymore that I could use it less. I am afraid to stop using it all together, since it's made such a difference in my skin. She told me about a line called "Therapy Systems" that had 2 products that I might like:
I use those two products when I want to take a break from the Pro-Active, and they are both SO gentle...so I would not worry about them being "too much." I love them, and they are now both staples in my skin care routine! Glycolic is something that also exfoliates your skin very gently and removes dirt and impurities from skin. It really cleans out your pores, which I need because the pores on my nose get clogged really easily. I use the balancing gel morning and night, but I only use the glycolic wash at night.
7. Two other products I've used and loved are:
Ole Henrikson "Truth Serum Collagen Booster"
This is a high potency vitamin C serum that helps prevent aging and promotes brightness.
Also gives that "glow"
Bliss "Peeling Groovy Facial Serum"
This is a liquid exfoliant, and I used this about 2-3 years ago and
really saw a difference in how smooth and soft my skin was.
Both of those products I used together, along with the Pro-Active, and so many people commented on how great my skin looked! I would say the two times in my life my skin has looked the best (after college, when I was in the "real world" and the stresses of everyday life start to work their magic take their toll, ha) was when a) when I used those two things, above, along with the Pro-Active and b) Using what I use now: the Decleor oil & Super O-Mega Moisturizer along with the Pro-Active and alternating with the Therapy Systems products.
I know that's a lot of info, but I love talking about this kind of thing. I think it's really important for people to take care of their skin, and the earlier....the better! Every time I go to get a facial, they tell me my skin looks really good when they get it underneath that bright light (which shows all major and minor imperfections). I am so glad, because it can get to the point of no-return if you're not careful. I love hearing about other people's miracle products, so please please please leave me a comment with what works for you guys! I really love hearing about it, and let's be honest.... I will probably have to buy them and try them out for myself. Maybe my dad was right....... I might have a problem..... :)
....Better late than never! I was going through all my blog pictures today and saw all the ones from my bridal showers. I thought, "Surely you posted all these BACK IN OCTOBER.... BEFORE the wedding." I looked like a mad woman all through my blog archives. Nothing. Could it be I forgot to do this post entirely?? After I'd nagged people to take the pictures for me?? Welp. I did. Welcome to my world.
So here's the deal... I had a lot going on before my November wedding, then Thanksgiving, then moving to CA for the months of Dec. and Jan. Then coming back for Christmas....then back to CA. That gives me a free pass, right? Well, I am taking that as a "yes" and posting pictures from my wedding showers today. Even though it's a good 4-5 months later. I am so proud of all the hard work & love everyone put into these showers, and I wanted to share that with all my lovely followers! Hope you enjoy these pictures! These were some amazing times! :)
This was my first shower, hosted by two of my neighbors in my hometown! It was a "Recipe Shower," where people brought their favorite recipes & the kitchen utensils in order to make them.
Such a clever idea!
Food Network called. They need a new tv star.
Wait.... Did I say Food Network...?
I meant Comedy Central.
Cute themed corsage for the shower. It had a dish scrubber on it!
Petro Zillia top & skirt. Gucci sunglasses. Two metallic bracelets my mom got me in Charleston, SC.
This was my second shower, which was a "Family Shower," hosted by one of my best friends.
In this picture, one of my other best friends (from pre-school!) and her baby!
Best picture I could find of what I wore that afternoon...
These are my grandparents (Mom's side).
I wore a Missoni maxi dress and one vintage bracelet of my mom's.
Such a special shower!
We had all of our family & close friends there, minus a few,
so it was very touching to see everyone there...supporting us!
My third shower was thrown outdoors by a few neighbors and friends.
(One of the hostess was my 6th grade teacher! Must have been good that year.)
This picture is with my sweet mama, who looks AMAZING!
I am wearing a dress from Barney's NY (can't remember the designer) and gold sandals from Nordstrom (also can't remember the brand). Sorry y'all!
My mom is wearing BCBG sandals, blue skirt from Barney's (might be Vince or ALC??),
tank and shrug from BCBG, Amanda Beck cuff, vintage gold belt, and necklace from a boutique in Chicago.
This is one of my other best friends, the one that hosted the family shower for me!
The beautiful mimosa station!
My 4th shower was an afternoon tea, at the City Hall in my hometown.
It was thrown by 2 of my mom's best friends from college and 7 more of her other close friends.
I chose to finally wear white to one of my bridal showers, ha.
I wore a silk dupioni tiered skirt that I had custom made for me back during my "pageant days." (Oy.)
The lace top is my mom's from Kittie Kyle (the clothing line my mom and aunts designed back in the day), and the belt is from Arden B.
Let's not even talk about what I'm wearing... Look at my little mama!!
Mom is wearing (from what I can remember) a Banana Republic top and skirt, leather obi belt from Kittie Kyle, vintage earrings, and a cuff I designed for her!
With my grandmother (Dad's side)
Doesn't she look amazing??
Y'all, it was decorated so beautifully, it took my breath away!
To the right of the table, there was a violin player, playing throughout the entire shower!
A little over a hundred people from my hometown came to say hello that day.
I was overwhelmed with gratitude!
My last shower was a "Stock the Cellar" party,
thrown by my best friend from childhood & her parents.
I wore black top from Kittie Kyle, black Bebe shorts, two sets of vintage necklaces,
and my favorite part of the outfit.... THE SHOES! (below)
I saved and saved and saved for these puppies!
A lot of people asked me if they were Betsy Johnson shoes, but they aren't.
I am not at my house in Nashville, so I can't remember the brand.
They are show-stoppers though! Wanted to wear all black with them so they made a PUNCH!
Again, look at my little mama!! Loved the pops of red and mustard yellow.
My bff, Ashley, is so creative. We loved this so much that it hung up in our living room until
about a 2 months ago!
My best friends from college!
Getting some Waterford crystal... I feel like royalty. Chris feels excited, too,
but probably doesn't know why ;)
This was when you walked in. You signed the guest book and wrote a piece of advice for us,
as a newly married couple, and then tied it to the tree. Such a fun idea!
Once we got home and read what everyone said, we laughed, cried, and might have
been a little embarrassed. Thanks to my brother and dad! haha
My last shower was the morning of my wedding. My 2 grandmothers and 3 aunts threw me a
Brides and Bridesmaids Brunch at the Hutton Hotel. (Same place the wedding reception was)
It was stunning, as you can see!
I wore a black one-shoulder Riller & Fount dress, rhinestone belt, Wolford leopard tights,
and Rock & Republic heels.
Me & all the hostesses.
Everyone who came.
Hope you enjoyed the pictures! I wanted to mix things up and not wear white to all of my bridal showers. I choose to wear bold prints & color schemes, and also another favorite look of mine: All black with bold accent jewelry or shoes. Can't go wrong with that - to any event! :) As always, thank you for reading my little blog. It means SO MUCH to me!!! xx
I think it's about time I start looking ahead to spring. I've waited long enough, and I am SO ready for warmer temperatures, sunny days, and breezy afternoons. Something about the onset of spring makes me so giddy! It was a rough winter in Nashville, and although I spend most of the winter in CA (Thankfully) I still felt the pain of what seemed like the worst winter we've ever had! I've been getting emails with pretty little dresses, paper-thin cardigans and t-shirts, and sky-high wedges that have gotten me OFFICIALLY ready for spring! Here are some things I am wanting in my closet to start the spring off right!