Without going too deep into my skin woes and giving you every last detail of my skin since I was 13, here's the skinny on what I've used that WORKS. (And I've tried a lot of things, people. Too many to name. So many that you'd think I have a problem hoarding facial products. In fact, my dad thinks I do have a problem with that, but that's whole different post. Sorry Dad.)
1. I use Pro-Active. I use all three of their "basic" kit, plus my favorite daytime moisturizer ever: Their oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15! I love it, and it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. (which says a lot, because it seemed like every single thing I tried made me break out or clogged my pores) I realize this system may not work for everyone, and I probably need to try and find another system since I am not in my teens or early twenties anymore. (Wow, that's a harsh reality.) But it works for me, and I never have breakouts so I am sticking with it for now.
2. Decleor Paris "Aromessence Neroli oil" - I just started using this about 2 weeks ago, after I had it put on my face during a facial. I was a little nervous because I have never used an "oil" on my face, and I was worried that it would break me out. The lady giving me my facial said that oils are the BEST thing to put on your skin for moisture and to get that "glow" that everyone wants. Here's something about me: I love for my skin to "glow" and that kind of sold me on the product. That and her amazing accent. If something promises that it makes skin "glow," I am all over it. Even if it's slug slime in a bottle. Gross but true. This oil has not broken me out ONE TIME, and it does not clog my pores! It's amazing and leaves my skin so soft... and with a nice glow, from the moisture that's being put back into my skin. Added bonus: It also smells great. Any of the oils in that line are supposedly great, and they address a number of skin concerns, so pick the one that's best for you. The one that I am now using is a new product that is now on my "must-have" list.
3. I started using Retinols about a year and a half ago, and they have changed my skin!! Retinols are chemical exfoliants that work to remove dead skin cells to reveal newer/brighter/younger looking skin. I started off with the La Roche Posay .30%. I absolutely loved it, but I am not sure where you can buy it anymore. Someone said at CVS, but I haven't seen it. It never irritated my skin, and I (try) to use it 3-4 times a week. I've recently upped my dosage, to a .5% though. I am using Skinceuticals brand now. See it here. I am a BIG fan of retinol, and it's something you want to start using in your mid to late 20s from what every skin care person tells me. Just make sure you're using a sunscreen during the day if you're using them!
4. My skin would be a little dry when using Pro-Active, and I was looking everywhere for a good moisturizer that wouldn't break me out. I finally found one I love, after reading about it in a magazine. It's by Nicholas Perricone (his original line is AMAZING but very $$$), but he's come out with a new line that's more affordable and based on super foods. His new line is called "Super by Dr. Nicholas Perricone." I use the "Super O-Mega Moisture with Chia." I love it! It's made such a difference to my skin not being as dry, but it's not a heavy moisturizer... so don't worry about that. I've been using it for a little over a month, and I have not broken out once!
5. I use the Clarisonic brush, which is a MUST for me now. I think that adding this to my skincare routine is the best thing I've ever done!
6. Once I got engaged last Feb. I started getting facials once a month, until the wedding. That was the ONE THING that made my skin look flawless on a regular basis. Now I don't do that as much now, because it is $$ to do it that often, but it is worth it. I would suggest maybe getting a facial every 2-4 months. My facialist (who is the best one I've found in Nashville - and she's affordable) told me that I didn't need to be using Pro-Active all the time, after using it all these years. She said since I am not breaking out anymore that I could use it less. I am afraid to stop using it all together, since it's made such a difference in my skin. She told me about a line called "Therapy Systems" that had 2 products that I might like:
I use those two products when I want to take a break from the Pro-Active, and they are both SO gentle...so I would not worry about them being "too much." I love them, and they are now both staples in my skin care routine! Glycolic is something that also exfoliates your skin very gently and removes dirt and impurities from skin. It really cleans out your pores, which I need because the pores on my nose get clogged really easily. I use the balancing gel morning and night, but I only use the glycolic wash at night.
7. Two other products I've used and loved are:
Ole Henrikson "Truth Serum Collagen Booster"
This is a high potency vitamin C serum that helps prevent aging and promotes brightness.
Also gives that "glow"
Bliss "Peeling Groovy Facial Serum"
This is a liquid exfoliant, and I used this about 2-3 years ago and
really saw a difference in how smooth and soft my skin was.
Both of those products I used together, along with the Pro-Active, and so many people commented on how great my skin looked! I would say the two times in my life my skin has looked the best (after college, when I was in the "real world" and the stresses of everyday life start to
I know that's a lot of info, but I love talking about this kind of thing. I think it's really important for people to take care of their skin, and the earlier....the better! Every time I go to get a facial, they tell me my skin looks really good when they get it underneath that bright light (which shows all major and minor imperfections). I am so glad, because it can get to the point of no-return if you're not careful. I love hearing about other people's miracle products, so please please please leave me a comment with what works for you guys! I really love hearing about it, and let's be honest.... I will probably have to buy them and try them out for myself. Maybe my dad was right....... I might have a problem..... :)